Sunday, May 31, 2009

How did you get into wargaming?


When I was 10, soon after reading Tolkien through the first time, I saw a Metagaming ad in one of my dad's Analog magazines. I scraped together some cash and sent off for the game Melee. I got the edition shown at right and my like minded friends and I began to play. Believe me, I got more than alittle hell about that anatomically correct gargoyle when I took the game to school! After that there followed an exposure to RPGs (TFT, Empire of the Petal Throne, MSPE, Runequest 2 ed.), Avalon Hill wargames (Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader) and some Miniatures Wargaming (I watched some games of Pas de Charge, Empire II). Later in life (meaning post high-school) it becomes much more complicated...

So, let me know, if you'd like, in the comments what got you started in gaming, I'm curious to know!

2 comments:

Chad Thorson said...

For me, it was Cry Havoc! I blogged about it here.
http://atomkid.blogspot.com/2009/05/cry-havoc.html
It was such a fun and easy game. Then I got into Squad Leader, D&D, Battletech, Champions, and Traveller. Now gaming is few and far between, but I still every once in a while get together with my regular gaming buddies.

AngryCoffeeMan said...

LOL @ "caught more than a little hell"

I think for me it was one of the Dungeon Dwellers sets "Caverns of Doom"

http://www.dungeon-dwellers.info/index.html